Monday, May 28, 2007

The Quaker Way (Part 2)

This is a continuation of yesterday's post and the quote is from Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation by Parker J. Palmer.

"Ruth's honesty gave me a new way to look at my vocational journey, and my experience has long since confirmed the lesson she taught me that day: there is as much guidance at what does not and cannot happen in life as there is in what can and does--maybe more."

Palmer goes on to recount his background and then he says something that truly resonated with me. "Each of us arrives here with a nature, which means both limits and potentials. We can learn as much about our nature by running into our limits as by experiencing our potentials. That, I think, is what Ruth and life were trying to teach me."

As I have reread Palmer's book, this passage is the one that I think about...over and over. What have I learned from the limits of bipolar mood disorder? What has this illness taught me about myself?

1 comment:

marja said...

I think that the limits that have been placed on me has helped me to compensate in creative ways that would not have been possible if things had been easy for me.

Though you know, Susan, I prefer to think about all the good stuff bipolar has brought me. But that's just me. I haven't had to deal with as much depression as you.

For one thing, bipolar has given a certain depth to my life. The extreme moods help me experience life in a way not possible for the average person. There's a richness in that. Painful but rich.